Times have changed since Phileas Fogg traveled around the world in 80 days. He made the journey by rail and steamer, which undoubtedly gave him the luxury of carrying as much baggage as he pleased.
We, however, are living in the era of air travel where baggage allowance is dictated by the airlines. Hence the question arises: what is the ideal packing list for a Round the World (RTW) trip that will conform to the stringent requirements of the airlines?
What is the Definition of a Round the World Trip?
An experience that goes way beyond the pleasures of your annual vacation, a Round the World Trip is an adventurous trip of a lifetime that involves travel across oceans and continents in one direction (either East or West). Round the World trips can last for 6-12 months and cover different time zones and seasons.
What Factors will Determine the Composition of Your Packing List?
- The length of stay will have a bearing on the amount of luggage you will carry.
- The itinerary you select and the season of travel. You need to research the prevailing weather conditions at the time of your visit
- The reason for travel. Are you going to take advantage of this trip to fit in business meetings? Or is it your aim to catch a music festival or concert? You will need to pack accordingly.
Must-Have Items on a Packing List for a Round the World Trip
Each Traveler has unique items that they must have with them at all times when they travel. However, most persons will agree that the following are essentials that should be on all packing lists:
- A document carrier or travel wallet for passports, travel vouchers, tickets, vaccination certificates, credit cards, and other documents.
- A toiletries case for toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant, and other items. It is recommended that multipurpose lotions and creams are carried along, if possible decanted into smaller bottles that can be refilled when necessary.
- A First Aid kit with basic medication such as painkillers, anti-diarrhea solutions, prescription medication, and insect repellant.
- A Flashlight
- An e-reader and laptop
- Mp3 Player
- Cell phone charger, solar power bank, notebook, and pens.
The Clothing Items to Include on the Packing List for Warm weather
A good suggestion that will help reduce bulk, is to select clothing items that can be worn underneath warmer layers when you transition from warm weather to cooler climates.
Items such as cotton dresses, cotton pants, t-shirts, and tank tops can be transformed into cold-weather clothing by the addition of scarfs, turtle neck sweaters, and leggings. Swimwear and shorts will also come in useful on hot days.
Essential Items to Pack for Cold Weather
Mindful of airline regulations regarding bulky baggage, the goal when packing for cold weather is to choose fabrics that offer warmth without the bulk. Pack pieces that you can layer such as thermal tops and bottoms that are useful for insulation. Ensure that you have a waterproof piece to protect you in wet weather. Also important are waterproof shoes, warm socks, gloves, a knit hat, and a travel umbrella.
A Round the World trip is one to look forward to with happy anticipation. Allowing plenty of time for packing, will help you to make wise choices. This in turn will enable you to relax and maximize on this experience of a lifetime.…